Computer Geek Test
If you feel yourself being described or you answered mass quantities
yes, then you too must be a computer geek...
- Do you use disk
labels for tape?
- Do you buy disks in lots of 100?
- Has this ever happened to you?: Your spouse gets *frisky* and you say, "Not
tonight honey, I've got a bug." And then you have to explain that you meant
*in your program*, when your better half breaks out the Pepto Bismol?
- Do you use more than a CASE of paper per year?
- Do you own and frequently use a calculator capable of Hexadecimal and
- Do you have computer style personalized license plates such as: CPU-HED ?
PLA-PHA ? PAG-ZRO ? MEG-4ME ? GIG-BYT ? PNTIUM ? BLITER ? I1T-RAM ?
- Can you look at memory hex dumps and disassemble them in your head?
- Have you ever written an assembly language program that is more than 10K of
pure object code?
- Every time you pass a computer, typewriter, or anything with keys, do you
get this irresistable urge to type something?
- Is your profession non-clerical in nature, yet you can type 70 words per
minute or more?
- Would you RATHER write a video game than play one?
- When a friend calls you to ask you about a problem with his monitor, do you
immediately start thinking in assembly code, when he meant his Monochrome
- Do you HOPE the teacher assigns a term paper instead of a mid term exam, so
you can do it on your computer?
- Have you ever woken up at 3AM face down on your computer's keyboard?
- Do you take computer magazines to the toilet with you?
- Do you have a bumper sticker which reads, "I'd rather be COMPUTING
than COMMUTING" ?
- If you are a professional programmer do you ever wonder, "Why do they
PAY me to have this much fun?"
- When lunch or break time rolls around, do you start working on a computer
program for home?
- Do you have a "computer ROOM" in your house?
- Do you take computer books to the doctor's office, dentist, or barber with
- Do your kids teethe on game cartridges and disk cases? Do you save Velveeta
Cheese boxes to use as 3 1/2" disk tubs?
- Do your kids use your bad disks for
- Do you subscribe to more than one COMPUTER MAGAZINE?
- Do you ever take a VACATION DAY so you can spend 16 hours in front of your
computer at home?
- Do you own more than $3000 worth of "home computer" equipment?
- Do you write a "quick and dirty" checkbook balancing program when
you pay the monthly bills, because it's too much trouble to find a calculator?
- Do your kids say things like, "Compile error Dad, can't mow the lawn
today. I got a priority interrupt and have to go to the library and process some
- Do you ever confuse computer terms with
clichés like: "Man, did he
ever blow his stack pointer!"
- Do you print the kids' school valentines, Christmas, or birthday cards with
- Do you constantly lose important phone numbers and info under piles of
computer manuals and printer paper?
- Do you have a neurotic fear of throwing away any box that once contained
computer equipment, in case you might have to "send it back to the factory"?
- Do you have piles and piles of such boxes, filling every closet and every
inch of garage space in your living area?
- Do you have to take out several trash bags full of obsolete program
listings every week?
- Does your spouse often threaten your computer with violence...in a "joking"
way, of course? (Examples: "I'll take an axe to that thing!", "throwit in the pool", etc.)
- Have YOU ever threatened a guest with violence if he set a glass of water
down next to the computer?
- Do you talk to the computer as if it could hear you?
- Do you own more than two computer languages that you never use?
- And never even learned?
- Do you own a shirt-pocket pencil holder?
- When your girlfriend (wife, etc.) says "it's too hot, I think I'll
slip into something more comfortable", do you run to turn up the air
conditioner to protect your computer from overheating?
- Do your family and friends write you letters instead of calling since they
can never get through to you on the phone, while you play on the "net",
Delphi, BBS and the like?
- Are all the clocks in your house 24 hour format?
- When you read about Americans and Russians negotiating ICBM reduction, do
you wonder how many computers they could destroy?
- Do you put Audio CDs in your computer's CD-ROM player to analyze them?
- Do you take your family on a "get away" vacation to Silicon
- Have you worn the letters off your computer's keyboard?
- Can you recite the alphabet in ASCII codes?
- Has your dog ever attacked, or raised its leg upon, your computer sytem out
- Do you read license plates to look for letter combinations that look like
- When your wife says she is going to take a "drive to the store"
do you get a sudden urge to go check on your disk drives?
- Is your idea of a BIG ADVENTURE playing one?
- Can your children do binary arithmetic?
- Have burglars ever hit the entire neighborhood except your house, because
you are always UP CODING?
- Is the biggest tragedy in your life a power outage?
- Do you use computer chips instead of thumb tacks?
- Have you actually ever managed to finish a programming project on time?
(If so, you are definitely a computaholic.)
- Have you ever realized that you "forgot to go to bed" when the
alarm goes off, while sitting in front of the keyboard?
- Have you ever gotten a new toy for your child that requires "parental
assembly" and gone to fire up your Macro Assembler?
- Do you program in ASSEMBLY LANGUAGE rather than C, or Pascal just for the
FUN OF IT?
Do your neighbors call the air force because of a strange glow emanating from
one room in your house all night long?
- Do strange noises, frequent
orders for Chinese food and many packages from
UPS (which you elatedly wait for) catch their attention?
- Do you celebrate COMDEX as a national
- Can you hotwire a phone into your direct connect modem from any motel or
- Do you travel with a computer?
- Have you forgotten how to talk to other parents at the PTA meeting?
- Do you burst out laughing when your spouse is talking and manages to make a
completely hidden reference outside of the context of the subject which is
hilarious when applied as a computer joke?
- Does a newly discovered BBS become a highlight of your day?
- Do you string your own telephone wires and electrical extensions?
- Have you ever had to explain to the phone company why you *need* 4 phones?
- Are you constantly trying to find a 'better disk editor' or a 'better
input routine' or a 'better word processor' ???
- Have you ever finished a program and delivered it, then never modified it
again? ((Be honest, now...))
- Do your kids know how to spell RUN before they knew how to spell their
- Have you noticed how old friends just cannot carry on interesting
conversations any more??
How did you do? I PASSED with flying colors!
Back to Chuck's Page